Jump to Recipe
These one pan Balsamic Glazed Italian Sausage and Onions are an elegant twist on an Italian classic. Perfectly tender and gorgeously glossed this one pan meal will make you shine this holiday season! Plus, as with all great holiday must haves, these are make ahead friendly.
I have clearly been on a glazing kick lately. My Honey Glazed Beets have really opened up my culinary imagination. And I have been glazing everything in my site since then!
I was initially planning on making my classic Balsamic Sausage and Peppers, but in typical Mila style…I realized I had forgotten the purchasing of the peppers. Again, classic Mila.
Naturally, not wanting to let perfectly good sausages go to waste, I decided to put my thinking cap on and get to work. I loved the classic combination of Italian sausage and onions. So I fancified (yes that’s a word) it a bit and decided to add in pearl onions instead of classic onions. It happens to be a great deal easier to use the pearl onions because I use the frozen bags. They go from frozen to cooked all in one swift step.
And they have a MAJOR flavor profile because they get gorgeously glazed in balsamic vinegar. They become, sweet, spicy and sticky all at the same time and all within minutes while using ONE PAN.
I prefer to use as little dishes as possible as of late when cooking. So because I use an oven proof sauté pan (most of which are) this dish goes from oven to stovetop without dirtying up any extra pans.
- I added my sausages and frozen pearl onions into a large sauté pan with some olive oil and garlic cloves. Then I let it roast for a good 15 minutes until onions were starting to caramelize and the sausages were beautifully plump.
- I wanted everything to be glazed evenly so I decided I would slice up the sausage on a bias. However, I did not want to let all those beautiful juices leak out of there. So I let the sausages rest on my cutting board for about 5 minutes before slicing into them. And then I added them to my pan to glaze them up.
The result was perfection! I added some red pepper flakes for much needed heat and started to glaze them in the pan. The balsamic reduced and turned all syrupy and glossy! Every last bit was covered in the glaze and they shined gloriously.
Then I garnished them with some chopped parsley and they looked so wonderfully festive.
And that glaze guys…OMG that glaze is amazing. It had the perfect consistency that begged for bread dipping and dare I say…finger licking.
This is going to be good guys…and when it is this easy it is the ultimate dish to bring to any dinner party! Particularly this season’s holiday parties!
Use it as an appetizer, an entree or a nibble. Your choice…but no matter what it will always be delicious.
Balsamic Glazed Italian Sausage and Onions...One Pan Meal
- 1.5 pounds of Italian sausage in casings
- 1 bag of pearl onions frozen
- 5-7 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 a cup of balsamic vinegar
- a pinch of red pepper flakes optional
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- parsley to garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Place frozen pearl onions, Italian sausages, garlic and olive oil into a large sauté pan. Roast for 15 minutes in the oven. If the pearl onions do not look caramelized, continue roasting them in 5 minute increments.
- Remove the sausage from the pan and let the sausages rest on a cutting board for 5 minutes.
- Slice the sausages on a bias so they are just bigger than bite size.
- Add sausages, balsamic vinegar and red pepper flakes to pan with the pearl onions.
- Turn to medium high and cook until a beautiful glaze is formed, about 5-7 minutes. This will occur due to the liquids evaporating and the sugars in the vinegar caramelizing,
- Serve with crostini, pasta or with noting at all.
2. If the sausages are still a bit raw after roasting, do not worry, they will finish cooking while they glaze up. 3. Nutritional values should be used as guidance only.