Nutella has managed to sneak its way into many of my foods. I have now managed to do it for breakfast. Add in caramelized bananas and some tender bread…and we have a winner 🙂 A delicious stuffed french toast full of creamy Nutella and sweet bananas. The ultimate in desserts for breakfast!
Breakfast on Sundays typically equals a free for all in my house. And that usually means ridiculously delicious sweet and savory yums. I am usually up early in the mornings with the munchkin. And she is quite the hungry little gremlin in the mornings.
And on those Sunday mornings when she lets me sleep in until 8am I am quite the happy mama. And it is those days that some of my best breakfast creations are born.
I had a last minute catering order cancel on me and that resulted in me having 2 gigantic loaves of Hawaiian bread left over. The best kind of bread to be used for any French toast or bread puddings…or even the occasional sweet and savory sandwich.
On this particular morning however, I had bananas and Nutella on my mind.
Quite the dangerous combination as I had learned from my Nutella banana bread.
The munchkin seemed delighted by my choice of ingredients and she stood by me and clapped with joy.
Overjoyed and hungry…she proceeded to steal all the banana slices I had cut up and shoved them in her mouth like a little chipmunk. Once I caught her mischief, she gave me a look as if it wasn’t her… and proceeded to walk away innocently…spitting tiny pieces of banana that over flowed from her mouth along the way.
While the munchkin was distracted by the familiar sound of the Mickey Mouse Club…I quickly assembled the French toasts
Carefully (or not so carefully) I slathered the pieces of Hawaiian bread with Nutella and then plopped on some banana slices. I of course dipped them into the batter next.
And fried them up in some butter. To say they were delicious is an understatement of epic proportions.
Hubs walked down stairs and immediately took a bite…and then started yelling at me for ignoring his strict diet and luring him into temptation with this wickedly delicious creation.
He continued to eat half of it. And in between bites, continued mumbling how I disobeyed his request. It was quite the scene. Because as he was talking the Nutella dripped down his fingers, stained his goatee and made it absolutely impossible to take anything coming out of his Nutella marked lips. I kissed him and said you are welcome.Print
- 8 slices of King’s Hawaiian Bread
- 2 bananas thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup of Nutella
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 a cup of milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp plus more if necessary butter for frying
- powdered sugar
- In a bowl, combine, eggs, milk, cinnamon and vanilla. Whisk until well combined.
- Take bread and slather it happily with Nutella.
- Add banana slices on top and place the two pieces of bread together. You should have some bananas left over. Reserve them.
- Melt butter in a pan over medium heat.
- Dip Nutella sandwiches into the batter and immediately place into the bubbling butter. Let fry on one side for 3-4 minutes and then carefully flip to the other side.
- Once both sides are gloriously brown remove. And set aside,
- Add the remaining banana slices and sautee them for a few minutes over low heat until fragrant and soft.
- Cut the French Toast on a diagonal, top with sauteed bananas and powdered sugar.