As private chefs our biggest question from our clients: Is it safe to get food delivered to the COVID-19 pandemic? Our biggest concern during this time is ensuring the utmost safety and sanitation for food delivery for our clients. Here are the steps that are recommended to ensure that your food is enjoyed without any worries of contamination.
Currently according to the FDA and CDC there has been no evidence that COVID-19 can be transmitted through food. It can however be transmitted through person to person contact by respiratory particles. Because of the minimal risk that delivery holds, it is actually recommended to utilize delivery services so that the exposure to the crowds in grocery stores is minimized. Here are the best ways to ensure your health and safety through the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Limit Contact with Delivery Service: If utilizing a delivery service, whether from a restaurant or a private cheffing or catering service such as Girl and the Kitchen, request that the order is dropped off at your door without any contact with you. We frequently inform our clients that we are on our way via text message and then take a picture of the order at their door step to show that it has been delivered. Also, we recommend that the deliver service wears disposable gloves that are removed once the order has been delivered and thereafter the delivery person ensures to sanitize their hands.
- Wash and Sanitize Hands: Increasing hand washing is always a good idea, especially before eating. Ask everyone to wash their hands before eating as well as after. This will decrease any chances of cross contamination and germs spreading.
- Sanitize Surfaces: As per usual it is important to sanitize any surface with alcohol, peroxide, bleach or sanitizing solution. This of course holds even more importance during this time. Sanitize the surface where the food will be consumed as well as where it is unpacked.
- Reheat Food According to Their Appropriate Temperatures: If you want to be extra cautious, feel free to warm up the food to its according temperatures to destroy and and all contaminants. You can use a meat thermometer to ensure that the proper temperature has been reached. All food that is being reheated should be reheated to a temperature of 165-degrees Fahrenheit.
- Dispose or Sanitize of Delivery Containers: If the containers are a one time use only, dispose of them. Otherwise place them in the dishwasher on the sanitize function to kill any viruses or bacteria.
- Wash Your Hands and Sanitize the Surface: We say the obvious again because it is crucial to prevent any cross contamination that there may potentially have been on a surface. Sanitize the surface that was eaten on once more and also wash those hands!
During any crisis, when certain normalcies in our life are taken away, the one joy of enjoying a warm meal with close friends or with your family always remains true! Eat together, cook together and laugh together! That will always remain a constant in our lives to bring joy to our lives!