Creamy sauces have gotten a bad rep. But not this bad boy! Based off of my vegan alfredo sauce, this creamy cajun pasta is loaded with veggies and tossed with oodles of cajun spices and lemon zest. Prepare to be blown away…creamy has never tasted this healthy or this good!
- 1 batch of my vegan dairy free alfredo sauce
- 1 red onion (sliced)
- 1 red pepper (sliced)
- 1 tsp of red chili flakes (or more if you like things spicy)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced on a microplane)
- 3 tbsp of cajun spice
- 1 cup of white wine
- 4 scallions chopped thinly
- zest of one lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz of dry or fresh pasta (penne, fettucini, spaghetti, orechetti, anything will work)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place a pot of salted water to boil for the pasta.
- In a large skillet or pot, add the olive oil, onions, peppers and red chili flakes. Cook over medium high heat until they start caramelizing nicely. About 7-10 minutes.
- Add in garlic, 1/2 of the chopped scallions and cajun spice. Combine so that everything is evenly mixed.
- At this point if using regular dry pasta go ahead and drop it into your boiling water.
- Add in the white wine and scrape, scrape, scrape the bottom of the pan. This is called deglazing, you want all those golden brown bits to come up and flavor your sauce.
- Allow the wine to reduce by half.
- If using fresh pasta, go ahead and boil it now.
- Add in the vegan dairy free alfredo sauce and lemon zest.
- Add in pasta and about 1 cup of pasta water.*
- Combine everything and give it a quick toss.
- Add remaining scallions as a garnish and serve immediately with more cajun spice and red chili flakes on the side.
1. I keep this sauce on hand ALL the time in the fridge. It is good for about a week, usually more and I use it all sorts of things! Soups, dips, pasta etc. It is always great to have around!
2. Your pasta water has starch in it from the pasta and it binds your sauce beautifully. It is the best trick that Italian grandmothers know!
3. Here is a neat little trick that makes this go even faster.. IF you use FRESH pasta as I do in the video… you can cook the pasta ALL IN ONE POT. That’s right…no boiling necessary just add the pasta in with the sauce and about 2 cups of water….and in one minute it is perfection!
4. The nutritional information is to be used for information purposes only.
- Category: Pasta, Vegan
- Cuisine: Italian American