An incredibly easy one pan stuffed portobello mushrooms recipe full of spinach, garlic and topped with a gloriously runny egg. The perfect addition to a last minute brunch!
- 2 portobello mushrooms
- 1 small onion (sliced)
- 1 cup baby spinach or frozen spinach*
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp olive oil plus more if necessary
- 1 tomato (chopped as a garnish)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a pan large enough to hold the eggs and portobellos, add in the olive oil over medium to high heat.
- Place the mushroom in the pan cap side down and allow to sear so a nice color develops. Season the side of the mushroom that IS NOT down on the pan. Allow to pan fry about 4-5 minutes.
- Simultaneously add in the chopped onions around the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper.
- Flip the mushroom and season the other side that is now facing up.
- Toss the onions a bit.
- Add in the spinach and the garlic and close with a lid allowing everything to steam together nicely and the spinach to wilt. splitting it up evenly.
- Add more oil if necessary then crack the eggs in the same pan alongside the mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover with the lid for 3 minutes until the egg yolks are a little pinky yellow (aka over easy).
- Remove the portobello mushrooms, put on a plate and add the egg on top. Sprinkle with parsley and chopped tomatoes and enjoy!
Note 1: You can use frozen spinach as well. Just ensure that when you put in the frozen spinach, you cover the pan with a lid. Otherwise the ice crystals from the spinach will mix with the oil and will splatter all over and create a big ole’ mess.
Once the spinach is nice and melted, remove the lid and allow the water that melted to evaporate.
Note 2: Nutritional values are to be used as guidelines.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Breakfast, Vegetarian
- Cuisine: American