Panera’s butternut squash soup is a fall favorite that is loaded with flavor and cream. My vegan butternut squash soup is the healthy alternative!!! Full of warm spices and a creamy spicy coconut cream, this soup is irresistible and guilt free!
- 5 cups of butternut squash (cleaned and cubed. *)
- 2 Honey crisp apples (peeled, cored and cubed)
- 3 carrots (peeled and cut into large pieces)
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1–2 tsp curry powder
- 1–2 tsp red chili flakes plus more for garnish
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice*
- 4–5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (the one from the can)
- salt and pepper
- pumpkin seeds for garnish
- Add squash, carrots and apples to a pot with coconut oil or olive oil. Allow to sweat for 5-10 minutes until softened lightly.
- Pour in vegetable broth, enough to cover all the veggies.
- Add curry, cinnamon, honey and orange juice. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Add contents to a food processor or vitamix. Puree until completely smooth. Feel free to add more vegetable broth or a bit of water to thin it out.
- Pour into bowls and take a spoon and add a bit of coconut cream. Swirl it in with the back of the spoon to create an abstract design.
- Garnish with pumpkin seeds and red chili flakes.
Note 1: These is about the size of 1 container from Costco. Otherwise for this recipe you will need about 2 nicely sized butternut squash that equals roughly 5 cups.
Note 2: Curry powder is very powerful so be light handed with it at first. You want a hint of it not to over power the whole dish.
Note 3: Most stores have freshly squeezed orange juice in the produce aisle you can buy instead of squeezing your own out.
Note 4: If you notice, the soup does not a super bright orange color but instead it has more of a deeper color. This is due to the caramelizing of the vegetables before cooking the soup. I would take that flavor over the color any day!
Note 5: Stir up the coconut milk in the can to combine the liquid and the cream.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Vegan
- Cuisine: Fusion