My take on this class Mexican Shrimp Soup is extremely comforting and healthy! It is filled with loads of plump shrimp and tender vegetables. Best of all I will teach you how to make it taste like it has been cooking for hours when it in only takes 45 minutes!
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion (chopped)
- 2 carrots (cut into half moons)
- 2 celery stalks (cut into half moons)
- 5 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 15- ounce can diced tomatoes with chillies
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 2 packets Goya Sazon with tomato and cilantro
- 1.5–2 pounds large shrimp (peeled and deveined, shrimp peels reserved)
- 8 cups vegetable stock or broth
- Lime wedges
- Diced onion
- Diced Avocado
- Thinly sliced jalapeños
- Add the olive oil and shrimp shells with a pinch of salt to a large, heavy bottomed pot. Allow to roast over medium heat while with the lid closed.
- After five minutes add in about 1 cup of water and scrub the bottom of the pot to get all those bits up that have come out of the shrimp shells. Also, squeeze each shrimp shell as well making sure to squeeze all the flavor out.
- With a slotted spoon or tongs, remove the shrimp shells and discard.
- Add in onions, garlic, carrots, celery, garlic, jalapeno and tomato paste. Allow to sweat over medium heat covered for five minutes.
- Add in black pepper, Goya seasoning, Mexican oregano, canned tomatoes and vegetable broth. Bring to a simmer and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add in shrimp and allow to simmer for five minutes. Taste for seasoning and serve immediately with garnishes.
- The nutritional information should be used for informational purposes only.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Mexican