Yes you should learn how to make French Onion soup at home! It’s easy because once you learn the technique the rest is easy and cheesy!
- 6 tablespoons (90g) unsalted butter, plus more for toasts
- 3 pounds (1.4kg) yellow or mixed onions, sliced 1/8 inch thick
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup Cognac or brandy
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 3–4 sprigs thyme
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar (totally optional) but I love the slight bite it gives it
- LOADS OF CHEESE
- Add olive oil and butter to a pan that is set to low medium heat.
- Add the onions into the pan and allow them to start sweating. Season with salt and pepper.
- Let this sweat out for 20 minutes! Do not touch!
- Let’s multitask and go ahead and make those crostini.
- Taste the onions for seasoning. Adjust as necessary. Let them cook over low to medium heat for about 30 more minutes.
- Let’s flambe! Add in your cognac (or other choice of liquor) FROM A GLASS not from the bottle! With a long stick lighter go ahead and light the mixture on fire and allow the alcohol to start cooking off.
- Add in your stock or bone broth. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Allow to come to a boil then simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Place crostini into your soup crocks and cover completely with soup. Cover with cheese
- Place under the broiler until melty! OR you can use a blow torch to really get cheesy!
Keywords: French Onion soup, French recipes, soup recipes, comfort recipes