Learn how to make Fettuccine Alfredo that is not swimming in a greasy sauce and comes together in only 30 minutes but tastes like it has been simmering away all day. My version of the classic Italian American pasta is super simple and is brought to flavor perfection with just a few easy tips from a an Italian chef.
- 2 tbsp of butter
- 1 shallot (finely minced)
- 3 garlic cloves (finely minced)
- 1 Parmesan Rind
- 1 pound fettuccine
- 1.5 cups of heavy cream
- 1/2 a cup of freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup of reserved pasta water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the pasta.
- In a large pan, place the butter, garlic and shallots in with a pinch of salt. Sweat over low-medium heat while covered.
- Allow to cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in Parmesan rind and heavy cream. Increase heat to a high simmer and allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions, ensuring that is al dente. Remove 1 cup of pasta cooking water prior to draining the pasta.
- At this point, if you want a nice and smooth sauce, place it into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add in the pasta water into the sauce along with the pasta.
- Toss until completely covered.
- Add in cheese and taste for seasoning.
- Serve immediately.
1. Feel free to use a hand blender for chopping up the aromatics as I did.
2. The nutritional information should be used for informational purposes only.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Pasta
- Cuisine: Italian American