A perfect and elegant breakfast or brunch idea that amps up the classic steak and eggs. Runny poached eggs served with filet mignon are gourmet and easy!
- 4 Filet Mignons (Any steak will do actually. Even a sirloin)
- 1 cup red wine
- 4 stems of rosemary
- 1 cup of instant polenta
- 3 cups of milk
- 2 tbsp whipped cream cheese
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Place steaks, red wine and rosemary into a zip lock bag and allow to marinate for at least 2 hours and up to overnight. You can also freeze them like this and upon defrosting them they will soak up even more of the marinade.
- Pat the steaks dry to get any access moisture off of them: remember a dry steak is a nicely seared steak. Season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Place some coconut oil or any other high temperature cooking fat into a cast iron skillet or any other skillet that has a thick bottom. Turn to high heat.
- Places steaks into the skillet and allow to sear for 3-5 minutes per side. This will give you a nice medium rare. Remove off the heat and cover loosely with foil so it can rest.
- Bring 3 cups of milk to a boil. Once you have reached a boil, add in the polenta and stir with a whisk for 5 minutes or until smooth and creamy. If you need it creamier, add a bit more milk.
- Remove off of the heat and add in cream cheese and Parmesan. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary. Set aside.
- While the pan is heating up, fill up a medium pot with water and add the vinegar. Allow to come to a simmer, then reduce heat so that you can see bubbles only at the bottom of the pot.
- Place each egg into a ramekin.
- Once the water is just barely simmering (bubbles at the bottom of the pot only) using a spatuala or a wooden spoon, create a little tornado in the water by swirling your spatula in a circular motion.
- Gently pour the egg right into that tornado center and allow to cook for 3-4 minutes or until center looks firm.
- Remove from the water with a slotted spoon onto another plate very gently. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Place the polenta on the bottom of a plate or a skillet. If it needs to be more creamy just add a bit more milk.
- Place steak on top of the polenta and add the poached egg right on top of the steak
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American