A ridiculously creamy and luscious sauce that is loaded with garlic and silkiness. This dairy free alfredo sauce are what all vegan dreams are made of.
- 8 oz raw cashews
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 tbsp dairy free butter (I likeEarth Balance best)
- 1 large shallot (diced)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced on a microplane)
- 1/4 tsp of red chili flakes or more (depending on how spicy you like it)
- 8 oz of fresh fettucini pasta
- lemon zest (optional)
- fresh parsley (finely chopped as a garnish)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pour boiling water over cashews, ensuring they are covered completely. Allow to stand for 30 minutes.*
- Place a pot of water to boil for the pasta.
- In the meantime, add dairy free butter, shallots, garlic and red chili flakes to a large sauce pan with all sides over medium heat.
- You are going to want to sweat these veggies, meaning no color. Just allow them to get aromatic and let their juices come out and mingle together. Let them cook for about 10 minutes.
- Once cooked, add the shallot and garlic mixture to a blender or a food processor. Add in the cashews that have been soaked and about 1 cup of the soaking liquid.
- Puree until completely smooth and taste for seasoning.
- Feel free to add more of the water if necessary to make the sauce creamier or thin it out a bit. Just do so a little bit at a time.
- Place the sauce back into the pan and allow to come up to the simmer.
- Cook your pasta until al dente, about 1 minute with fresh pasta.
- Add the pasta into the bubbling sauce and about 1/2 a cup of the pasta water. This will let the sauce come together nicely.*
- Serve immediately and garnish with fresh lemon zest and fresh parsley.
- You can also let these stand over night if you have the time. I however do not and so I just let them stand in boiling water which will create the same effect.
- If the sauce gets a bit too watery, just crank up the heat to high for a minute and it will thicken up quickly.
- The nutritional information is to be used for information purposes only.
- Category: Dairy Free, Vegan
- Cuisine: Italian