Prepare for the crispiest and easiest flatbread ever! This cheesy bacon flatbread comes together in one bowl without the need for any kneading! In no time at all, you will have a crispy flatbread loaded with the most delicious of goodies!
- 1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 5 slices of bacon (cut up into bite size cubes)
- I cup shredded cheese (Parmesan, Cheddar, Mozzarella or a combination of them,)
- 1/3 cup olive oil plus more for brushing
- sprigs to thyme (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450°F with a heavy baking sheet on rack in middle. I used a pizza stone instead.
- Stir together flour, chopped herbs of choice, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Make a well in center, then add water and oil and gradually stir into flour with a wooden spoon until a dough forms. Knead dough gently on a floured work surface a few times.
- Divide dough into 3 pieces and roll out 1 piece on a sheet of parchment paper into a 10-inch round or ovals. Make sure you cover the others with plastic wrap so they don’t dry out.
- Lightly brush top with additional oil and poke holes with fork.
- Sprinkle with sea salt. Slide round with parchment paper onto preheated baking sheet and bake until it is a pale golden color, about 5-8 minutes. Transfer flat bread to a rack to cool, then make 2 more rounds (1 at a time) on fresh parchment.
- While the flatbreads bake, place bacon cubes into a large COLD pan. Turn the heat to medium and let the pan heat up. By doing this slowly you will render the fat out of the bacon.
- Once the bacon has crisped up, remove with a slotted spoon and reserve.
- Once flatbreads are cooked and cool to handle you can assemble the flatbreads.
- Sprinkle the bacon, cheese and thyme leaves equally on all the flatbreads.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until bubbly and crispy.
1. Flatbread can be made 2 days ahead. Just cool it completely, and keep it in an air tight container at room temperature.*
2. If you do not have a cooling rack, just take out one of your oven racks ahead of time and used that as your cooling rack.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Italian