These Creamy White Chicken Enchiladas are beyond simple to make but boast an insane amount of flavor! Slathered in a ridiculously delicious creamy sauce and covered in stretchy cheese, these enchiladas need nothing else except a fork and a knife to dive in with!
Creamy White Sauce
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 pound cream cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 shallot (minced on a microplane)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced on a microplane)
- 2 tbsp cilantro (chopped)
- 16 flour tortillas
- 1 pound Instant Pot Shredded Chicken or any shredded chicken breast (rotisserie, roasted or otherwise)
- 5 scallions (thinly sliced)
- 1.5 cups Mexican blend shredded cheese or chihuahua cheese
- cilantro (for garnish)
Creamy White Sauce
- In a medium saucepan, add the butter, shallots and garlic over low to medium heat COVERED. Allow to sweat for 5 minutes ensuring no color is added onto vegetables.
- Add cubed cream cheese and half of the milk to saucepan. Over medium heat, stir until all is combined and melted. If the sauce is too thick add in the remaining milk. Stir in cilantro and taste for seasoning.
Assembling the enchiladas
- Pre-heat an oven to 350-degrees. Butter a rectangular or a square oven proof baking dish that will fit 16 enchiladas.
- Take a tortilla and onto the edge closest to you, add in about a tablespoon of chicken, a sprinkle of scallions about a tablespoon of sauce and a sprinkle of cheese. Roll up the tortilla like a cigar and place SEAM SIDE DOWN into the butter pan. Continue doing so until completed with all the enchiladas.
- Pour remaining sauce over the top of the enchiladas ensuring to spread it evenly. Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Cover with foil and place into the oven for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove the foil and allow the cheese to brown up. Make sure you are careful when removing the foil so it does not remove some of the cheese. The enchiladas are done once the top is golden and bubbly and the inside of reaches a temperature of 165 degrees F. In total this should take about 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.
- If you want to freeze the enchiladas, cover them in saran and then foil and freeze until ready to reheat. When ready to reheat, place covered into a 350-degree oven for 30 minutes or until heated through to an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Nutritional information is to be used for guidance only.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Chicken, Entree, Main Course, Main Entree
- Cuisine: Mexican