Meet the sauce of all sauces! This delicious and super creamy parmesan and sun-dried tomato pasta is full of savory flavors and loads of cheesy goodness. It is topped with plenty of Parmesan and bread crumbs and baked off until it is golden and cheesy perfection.
- 12 oz penne pasta (or any other small pasta you would like to use)
Creamy Sun-dried tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion (sliced thinly)
- about 1 cup of water or more for the caramelized onions
- pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 cup of sun-dried tomato (sliced thinly)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced on amicroplane)
- 1/2 a cup of white wine
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1.5 cups reserved pasta water
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
Herb Bread Crumb and Cheese Topping
- 3/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp melted unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp of finely chopped parsley
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Boil the pasta according to package instructions and drain all the water with the exception of 1.5 cups.
- Add in a 2 tbsp of butter to a large oven proof pan. Add in the sliced onion and a sprinkle of salt. The salt helps the juices come out of the onions. After 10 minutes, add in 1/2 a cup of water and increase heat to high.This picks up all the delicious bits from the bottom and softens the onions. Keep doing this until they get to a nice and dark color. This will usually take about 15 minutes.
- Once the correct onion color is achieved, turn the heat own to medium and add in red pepper flakes, sun-dried tomatoes and garlic. Sweat for 2 minutes.
- Add in white wine and deglaze (get all the brown bits from the bottom) the pan.
- Once the alcohol smell has burned off, about 2 minutes, add in the cream and bring to a boil.
- Add in the 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and taste. Season with salt and pepper.
- Over medium heat, add in the pasta and 1/2 a cup of the pasta water. Mix to emulsify the sauce and combine. If the sauce is too thick add in a bit more of the pasta water.
- Remove from heat.
- Combine the melted butter with the bread crumbs. Add in chopped parsley and mix well.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top of the pasta. On top of the mozzarella cheese, add in the bread crumb topping, followed by the Parmesan cheese.
- Place into the oven and broil until golden brown and cheese is bubbling.
- Garnish with extra parsley if desired.
1. You can buy already sliced up sun-dried tomatoes. It will say julienned on the package.
2. Do not buy pre shredded cheeses, especially when you need such a small amount. I just use a large microplane to grate the cheese.
3. Feel free to microwave the butter to melt it. Just do so in 10-15 second increments so it does not explode in the microwave.
4. Nutrition values should be used for informational purposes only.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Pasta
- Cuisine: Italian American