My take on the classic Italian Apple Crostata is the perfect dessert for your holiday dinner parties! Sweet and tangy apples wrapped in a crumbly and buttery crust and can be made the night before!
- 1 cup butter (cold)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces ice water (may need more if dough does not come together)
- 3 Granny Smith apples peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ tsp lemon zest
- ¼ tsp orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
- heavy cream optional
- With a knife, cut the butter into 1/4″ cubes and keep cold.
- Mix flour, sugar and salt together in the food processor.
- Add the butter to the dry ingredients in the food processor.
- Pulse or mix briefly, until butter is in small pieces, the size of peas.
- Add the ice water and mix. Stop before it is a solid mass.
- NOTE: It is better to be a little crumbly.
- Press the dough together and form into one large ball. Wrap in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate at least one hour.
- In large sauté pan, melt butter until foaming and add sugar. Cook about 5 minutes over medium heat until light brown. Add the apples.
- Cook until apples are slightly soft, and add spices and zest – mixing well with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon.
- Add the cornstarch and mix well, cooking one minute.
- Remove filling and cool completely.
- Place parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Cut the crostata dough into 4 equal balls.
- Roll out the dough with a rolling pin into about a 9 inch circle.
- Place the rolled out dough onto the baking sheets lined with parchment paper
- Using an ice cream scoop, fill with 4-1/2 OZ. apple filling.
- Fold the dough onto the filling creating a rustic looking flower.
- Place into refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Brush the crust of the crostatas with heavy cream.
- Sprinkle crust with crystallized sugar
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven until brown and crisped (about 35-40 minutes).
- Serve this with ice cream and homemade caramel for an extra delicious bite!
- Nutritional information should only be used as a guide.
- Prep Time: 90 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Italian