Avgolemono soup is the classic Greek chicken penicillin. It is a heavenly, velvety soup with a savory chicken broth, tart lemons and egg yolks. The combination creates a smooth and comforting soup perfect for a new twist on the classic chicken soup.
- 2 quarts chicken stock or broth (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 cup cooked chicken (optional, shredded)
- 1 medium onion (finely diced)
- ½ cup long grain white rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 12 lemon zest strips (about 2 lemons zested)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- ¼ cup lemon juice from zester lemons
- sprigs of dill for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- To a large pot, add 1 tbsp olive, onion and lemon strips.
- Allow to sweat for 7 minutes over low-medium heat while covered. Make sure that no color develops.
- Add chicken stock or broth to the pot long with the rice, bay leaf and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to and simmer until rice is tender and stock is aromatic, about 20 minutes.
- With slotted spoon, remove and discard bay leaf and lemon zest strips.
- Increase heat to high and return stock to boil, then reduce heat to low.
- Place stick blender into the pot and blend for a few seconds. If you do not have a stick blender, place about 2 cups of the soup into a blender and blend until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, yolks, and lemon juice lightly until combined.
- Taste and season with extra salt, pepper and lemon juice if necessary.
- While whisking constantly, slowly ladle about 2 cups of hot stock or broth into egg mixture; whiskuntil combined.
- Add chicken. (optional)
- Pour egg-stock mixture back into pot; cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until soup is slightly thickened, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- After this, do not simmer or bring to a boil as this will cause the soup to get gummy.
- Serve immediately with sprigs of dill, extra lemon zest and black pepper.
1.If reheating the soup, it will get thicker. This is normal. Feel free to add a bit more chicken stock when reheating to thin out the soup a bit.
2. I really preferred the soup without chicken pieces in it. I found the soup to be more appealing in texture. However, feel free to add it in as the recipe states if you like the added protein. The chicken can also be shredded at the end as a garnish.
3. The nutritional information should be used for informational purposes only.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Greek