This is what my New Year’s is known for. My Babushka’s famous Vafilney Tort is an extremely simple no bake cake filled with condensed sweetened milk, wafers and walnuts. The simplicity of this cake reminds me that New Year’s Eve is best filled with nostalgia and the comfort of friends.
- 2 packages Waffles
- 4 cans condensed sweetened milk
- 1/2 cup walnuts-roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons cognac
- 1 stick of butter (melted)
- Remove all the labels from the cans of condensed milk.
- Place the cans in a large pot and cover with water. Boil the cans for 3 hours, making sure to refill the water in the pot as it boils out.e.
- Let the cans stand for 2-3 hours or until they are cool.
- Add the butter and Cognac to the condensed cream.
- Combine all the ingredients together in a standing mixer with a paddle attachment.
- Alternate waffle layers with the condensed milk. Sprinkle the reserved walnuts on the top of the cake.
- Allow to stand for at least 6 hours at room temperature before serving.
The nutritional information for this recipe should be used for guidance purposes only.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Russian