For The broth
- 8 cups of good homemade or store bought chicken broth
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 8 oz of fresh tortellini
- 1 Parmesan rind
- 1 cup of chopped baby spinach
- 1 tsp or more of lemon zest
- chopped parsley for garnish
- OPTIONAL: Better than Bouillion if you need more flavor in the soup
For the Meatballs
- 1.5 pounds ground chicken
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup milk (2%, whole, skim, all is fine)
- 3 tablespoons freshly parsley (finely chopped)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pour broth, garlic and parmesan rind into a large soup pot and bring up to a simmer. Let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- Combine ground chicken, Parmesan cheese, parsley, milk, salt and pepper in a bowl. Combine mixture with your hands until just mixed, do not over mix or you will end up having dense meat balls.
- Prepare a sheet pan by spraying it with pan spray and THEN putting parchment on top. Create a huge “X” on the sheet from one corner to the next. This is a great trick to get your paper to stick onto the sheet pan.
- Use a tablespoon, melon baller, or small ice cream scoop to shape the meatballs. Do not make them too smooth, the rigid edges will allow for better browning in the oven.
- Place meatballs into the oven and let cook for 7 minutes.
- Back to the soup. Taste for seasoning. If you are using store bought broth or stock you may need to add in more flavor. Add in your Better Than Bouillion 1 tbsp at a time. Tasting as you go.
- After the soup has simmered for 15-20 minutes, add in your tortellini and let cook for another 5-7 minutes on a nice simmer.
- Add in meatballs. Allow to cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add in spinach and stir. Taste for seasoning and add in lemon zest.
- Serve with a heaping tablespoon of Parmesan, freshly chopped parsley and some more lemon zest.