An incredibly easy and scrumptious chicken and rice dish made in just one pot!!!
- 1 fryer chicken (about 3-pounds, cut up into pieces or feel free to just use thighs and drumsticks)
- 2 whole lemons (zested and juiced)
- 3 tablespoons of oregano
- 1/2 a cup of water
- 5 cloves of garlic (sliced)
- 1 tsp of red pepper flakes or more if you are feeling dangerous
- 2 tbsp olive oil (separated)
- 1 shallot (finely diced)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced on microplaner)
- 1 large onion (finely diced)
- a pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1½ cups chicken broth / stock
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- Chopped parsley and lemon zest to garnish
- Combine the chicken and marinade in a ziplock bag and marinade for a minimum of 30 minutes and up to over night.
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees
- Heat up a skillet large enough to contain the chicken and the rice, over medium heat with the 1 tbsp olive oil in it.
- Using tongs or you hands, remove the chicken from the marinade…BUT DO NOT THROW OUT THE MARINADE.
- Place the chicken skin side down into the pan and cook until brown. You may have to do this in batches. Remove and set aside.
- Remove the darkened bits from the chicken and wipe pan clean with a paper towel. I like to hold the paper towel with tongs and wipe it around so that I do not burn my hands 🙂
- Add the remaining olive oil to the pan and add in shallots, red pepper flakes, onion and garlic. Sweat them out. Not allowing any color to come to the veggies.
- Add in all the remaining rice ingredients and the marinade.
- Let the liquid come to a simmer and allow to simmer for 30 seconds.
- Place chicken on top of the rice, nestling it in gently. Place a lid on the pan. Bake in the oven for 35 minutes.
- Remove the lid and bake for 10 more minutes to allow the chicken to brown. The rice is done when all the liquid has evaporated.
- Remove, allow to rest for 10 minutes and fluff with a fork.
- Garnish with extra lemons and parsley.
- Category: One Pot
- Cuisine: Greek