For years I have wanted to learn how to make chocolate chip cookies. Not just any chocolate chip cookies, but chewy yet crispy, sweet yet savory, melt in your mouth chocolate chip cookie. This recipe is not only PERFECT, but super simple! No magic ingredients and no mixer required! Here is the ultimate chocolate chip cookie that will make every child and adult smile with gleeful nostalgia. Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit.
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1¼ tsp Kosher salt
- ¾ tsp Baking Soda
- ¾ cup Unsalted Butter (1.5 sticks of butter)
- 1 cup Dark Brown Sugar (packed)
- ¼ cup Granulated Suger
- 1 Large Egg
- 2 Large Egg Yolks
- 2 tsp Vanilla Paste or Extract
- 6 oz Bittersweet Chocolate (60%-70%) coarsly chopped or semisweet chips
- Flaking Salt (For finishing)
- 2 tbsp Brewed Strong Coffee or Espresso (Optional)
- Place racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 375°. Whisk flour, salt, and baking soda in a small bowl; set aside.
- Cook ½ cup (1 stick) butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, swirling often and scraping bottom of pan with a heatproof rubber spatula, until butter foams, then browns, about 4 minutes. Transfer butter to a large heatproof bowl and let cool 1 minute. Cut remaining ¼ cup (½ stick; 56 g) butter into small pieces and add to brown butter (it should start to melt but not foam and sizzle, so test with one piece before adding the rest).
- Once butter is melted, add both sugars and whisk, breaking up any clumps, until sugar is incorporated and no lumps remain. Add egg and egg yolks and whisk until sugar dissolves and mixture is smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Whisk in vanilla and coffee or espresso if using. Using rubber spatula, fold reserved dry ingredients into butter mixture just until no dry spots remain, then fold in chocolate (the dough will be soft but should hold its shape once scooped; if it slumps or oozes after being scooped, stir dough back together several times and let rest 5–10 minutes until scoops hold their shape as the flour hydrates).
- Using a 1½-oz. scoop (3 Tbsp.), portion out 16 balls of dough and divide between 2 parchment-lined rimmed baking sheets. Bake cookies, rotating sheets if cookies are browning very unevenly (otherwise, just leave them alone), until deep golden brown and firm around the edges, 8–10 minutes. Let cool on baking sheets. (PLEASE REVIEW NOTES ON HOW TO TEST FOR DONENESS)
- Recipe can be made up to 3 days ahead of time and sealed in air tight container.
- To freeze the dough: Scoop out the dough. Package and freeze: Wrap the disks in plastic or wax paper and transfer to a plastic freezer bag or other freezer container. Press out as much air as possible, label the bag, and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- OVENS!!!! Every single oven cooks differently! My convection oven at home makes them in 11 minutes. My convection oven at the commercial kitchen baked them in 8 minutes! Start with 8 minutes and check the edges. The best sign of doneness is that the edges are starting to get crispy!
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American