These incredibly beautiful honey glazed beets are perfect for your holiday meal plus they happen to be ridiculously easy! They are made right on the stove top so that the oven can stay free and clear for other things like gorgeous roasts and potato au gratin’s!
- 1 pound beets (peeled and cut into wedges or just use small beets and half them)
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 3 shallots (quartered)
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 teaspoons honey
- 1 cup water plus more if necessary
- Kosher salt
- Combine all the ingredients plus a nice large pinch of salt in a sauté pan or saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Cover with a tightly fitting lid, bring to a simmer, and cook, adding water by the tablespoonful if pan is dry before vegetables are done. You will want the vegetable fork tender, which will take about 20 minutes.
- Once the vegetables are fork tender, remove the lid and cook until liquid evaporates completely, about 5 minutes.
- Toss the vegetables occasionally, until beautifully glazed for about 5 minutes.
- Finish it up with 1 Tbsp. water to deglaze pan and coat the beats with the glaze.
- Season with salt.
1. The reason you get this gorgeous color is because of the purple coming out of the beets. You will not get this effect with candy striper beets (yellow beets). But they will be delicious and beautiful nonetheless.
2. If making ahead of time, make sure to add a tablespoon or 2 of butter when reheating. It will give it a glorious glaze and flavor.
Recipe inspired by Bon Appetite
3. The nutritional information should be used only for guidance purposes.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Sides
- Cuisine: American