This simple 15 minute gluten free breakfast pizza boasts a super crispy potato crust, salty, melted cheeses and runny eggs. Breakfast has never been easier!
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 whole potato (washed and scrubbed)
- 1/2 cup of good shredded Parmesan cheese (more if you like)
- 1/2 a cup shredded mozzarella
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 cup baby arugula
- half a lemon cut into wedges
- extra Parmesan used for garnish
- chopped parsley for garnish
- salt and pepper to garnish
- optional red pepper flakes
- Using a mandolin, or a super sharp knife slice the potatoes thinly. (Look at the picture for how thin mine were) A mandolin definitely makes life a great deal easier. Trust me.
- Pour the oil into the pan and start placing into the pan in a circular pattern making sure to overlap each slice and kind of moving the oil around with the potatoes as you put them in to ensure that the oil is in there evenly.
- Sprinkle with half of the Parmesan, season with salt and pepper.
- Put over medium heat and allow to cook for about 5-6 minutes, untouched.
- After about 5 minutes add in the shredded mozzarella, the remaining Parmesan, the eggs and remember to season the eggs with salt and pepper. I would have loved to add some red pepper flakes as well at this point…but because the munchkin was eating it, I steered clear. At this point you can add in any other veggies or meats as well. Prosciutto, pancetta or pepperoni would crisp up really beautifully in there. Veggies such as onions, garlic, shallots, etc would do great. Specifically caramelized onions <img draggable=”false” data-mce-resize=”false” data-mce-placeholder=”1″ data-wp-emoji=”1″ class=”emoji” alt=”🙂” src=”https://s.w.org/images/core/emoji/2/svg/1f642.svg”> Just steer clear of any watery vegetables such as tomatoes. Those will give off too much water and again, moisture is brutal enemy of crispy edges.
- GENTLY with a spatula lift up the edges of the potatoes. If you see they are starting to brown nicely then into the broiler it goes. If not give them JUST a few more minutes on the stove.
- And then into the broiler it goes. If you do not have a broiler, stick it into a super hot oven. Around 500 degrees F would be great.
- I like my eggs perfectly pink…which is basically over easy with out having to flip it. This will take about 5-6 minutes depending on how powerful your oven is.
- Remove from the oven. Sprinkle the arugula on and a squeeze of one of the lemon wedges.
- Serve in the pan or slide onto the cutting board.
1. DO NOT use already shredded cheese. ESPECIALLY Parmesan. The flavor is not nearly as good in the pre shredded. Use your handy dandy microplane to shredd some right on top. Same goes for the mozzarella. The shredded kind has extra ingredients in there to prevent it from clumping up. Even better feel free to use fresh mozzarella slices.
2. I actually liked the way the potatoes caramelized in the cast iron pan much better. It caramelized faster and more evenly. If you have the option to use cast iron. Do.
3. Nutritional information should only be used as a guide.
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Italian