This Custard Filled Cornbread is the king of all cornbread. It is deliciously sweet and incredibly tender and has a creamy custard center that will blow every other corn bread out of the water.
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups all purpose milk
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 T baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- 1 cup corn kernels (frozen is fine)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Butter an 8-inchcsquare baking dish or a 10 inch cast iron pan and place it in the hot oven while
- you prepare the batter.
- Add Vinegar, Sugar, and salt to milk and set aside.
- Mix dry and wet ingredients in seperate bowls.
- Mix Flour, Cornmeal, baking powder, and baking soda in a bowl.
- In a seperate bowl, beat eggs.
- Add vinegar/milk to eggs.
- Add melted butter.
- Pour dry ingredient bowl into the wet bowl and hand whisk until combined.
- Add corn kernels.
- Pour batter into hot pan.
- Pour heavy cream into the center of the batter – DO NOT STIR. Bake for 45
- minutes – 1 hour.
- Cornbread is done when brown on top, and batter doesn’t move much when shaken (from
- edge of pan)
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American