When a wild mushroom stew meets puff pastry the most incredible and scrumptious crockpot beef pot pie is born. The stew is incredibly flavorful and ridiculously simple. Cooking it in the crockpot makes this a perfect make ahead, minimal effort entree that will blow everyone at your dinner table away.
- 2 x the recipe of my Wild Mushroom and Beef Stew
- 1 box of puff pastry
- 1 egg+1 tbsp of water
- fresh thyme to garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- About 60 minutes before your guests arrive, remove your frozen puff pastry dough and let it rest near a warm place so it defrosts just enough to be cut.
- Once it is workable (about 30 minutes) place your mini pots on top of the dough and cut a circle around it. You want to cut the circle slightly larger than your little pots because you want the puff pastry to hang over the edge. You can even cut a square so that it hangs over even more. (Do not pay attention to my picture. I initially cut them out for much smaller ramekins and only after did I realize that I had much cuter clay pots. It still worked fine even though it was not as picture perfect as I would have liked it)
- Right before your guests arrive, fill your little mini pots (ramekins would work perfectly fine as well) with the glorious stew and place the pieces of puff pastry on top. Make sure to cut little slits in them otherwise they will puff up more than necessary. Use a fork to press the puff pastry to the rim of the ramekin or mini pot.
- Then just brush them with some egg wash so that they get golden brown and glorious.
- Place into the oven for 20 minutes or until puffed up and golden brown.
I love this crockpot because it has all the options I could ever need but most importantly it goes from the stove to the crockpot and to the oven if I need it to.
- Category: Stew
- Cuisine: French/American