This is pretty much as simple and as good as it gets. Easy. Delicious. Creamy mashed potatoes. And for some reason I get asked how to make these more than other potato dish out there. The secret to the ultimate creamy mashed potatoes will blow you away.
- 5 pounds potatoes (peeled, cut and washed)
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 cup of half and half
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper to season
- Boil potatoes until they are fork tender.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter with the half and half on a low flame; keep warm.
- Strain the potatoes so that there is not water left.
- For the actual mashing process, I have found that using a food mill is by far the most effective way to get the creamiest mashed potatoes, with minimal effort. If you do not have a food mill then use a smasher or a mixer if you have it.
- Add all the sour cream and half of the butter mixture to the potatoes. Combine and see the consistency. Add in more butter and half and half if necessary. I like mine super creamy so I added it all in. Just add it in a bit at a time so the potatoes get a chance to absorb the liquids.
- Category: Vegetarian
- Cuisine: American