- 2 pounds ground beef (80% lean)
- 5 egg whites
- 5 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 whole onion (finely diced)
- 1 cup freshly grated (Parmesan)
- 1 large handful of Italian parsley (chopped)
- plenty of salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil for cooking
- My Freezer Friendly Marinara Sauce
- By using whole wheat spaghetti and lean beef I was really able to cut down on the calories. Now they have this awesome pasta at Trader Joe’s with flax seed in it! So I can almost feel good about eating this meal…almost.
- Combine all the ingredients except olive oil in a bowl and mix well with hands.
- Pour oil into a deep and preferably wide pot; let oil get hot.
- One at a time, roll the meatballs into about 3 inch balls and drop them into the pot. Be careful not to crowd the pan. Continue doing so in batches until all meatballs have been browned on each side. *I have also recently baked these off I stead of frying them. Simply roll them and place on an oiled sheet pan and place into 450 degree oven for 20 minutes. Then place into the sauce.
- Remove all the meatballs on to another plate.
- Turn down the heat to medium and add onion to pan. Toss onion with oil. Continue cooking for about 15 minutes. Do not get color on the onion.
- Turn down the heat and add the garlic. Sweat for 10 minutes.
- Puree the tomatoes through a food mill or a food processor. Place into pot with onion and garlic. Let it cook over low heat for about 30 minutes.
- Boil a pot of salted water for the spaghetti.
- Add in meatballs and juices. Continue cooking until meatballs are cooked through and moist, about 20 minutes.
- Remove meatballs and add basil leaves and spaghetti to sauce.
- Toss to coat and pour extra sauce on meatballs and spaghetti!
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Italian