BBQ Chicken Pizza flavors and textures wrapped up in one neat little puff pastry package.Cheesy, tangy and crispy, these turnovers are the ultimate appetizer!
- 1 package frozen puff pastry
- 1 chicken breast cooked (shredded tossed with 4 tbsp BBQ sauce)
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/2 a red onion (finely chopped)
- 3 tbsp cilantro (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- We start simply enough by taking frozen sheets of puff pastry (I used Peppridge Farms) and letting them thaw out for about 30 minutes on the counter. Then cut them into 9 equal squares.
- In the mean time prep your other ingredients. I already had shredded chicken. But if you don’t you will need one roasted, boiled or rotisserie chicken breast, shredded and tossed with your favorite BBQ sauce. I prefer Sweet Baby Rays.
- Also get out 1/2 a cup of shredded cheddar, 3 tablespoons of chopped cilantro, and 1/2 of a red onion chopped finely. You will also want to have some extra BBQ sauce on hand.
- Place the puff pastry squares on a baking sheet fitted with parchment paper. Drop a dollop of BBQ sauce into the center of each square. No need to be neat here.
- Then sprinkle a bit of cheese on top of the sauce, add shredded chicken, onions, cilantro and finish up with more cheese. This way it’s gooey from all ends. Don’t go crazy loading them up though. You literally want pinches of each ingredient.
- Now, grab a corner with your finger and stretch it a bit. Pull it over to the diagonal corner so it forms a cute little triangle.
- Press the edges down so they seal. Next take a fork and press down on the edges so you create a cute little design and you also seal it extra well this way.
- It’s ok if some of the ingredients get smushed into the edges. It gives them character.
- Take one egg and a tbsp of water and mix it up with a fork, creating an egg wash. With a pastry brush or your finger dab the egg wash all over the turnovers
- Sprinkle some more cheese on top. This will create a really yummy salty crust on top.
- Bake until golden brown or about 18-20 minutes. Depending on your oven. I use a convection oven so mine goes a bit faster.
- Garnish them with some cilantro and serve.
- Category: Appetizers/SIdes
- Cuisine: American