Golden Yellow Lentil Dal with Curry
This easy and delicious yellow lentil dal is full of protein and bright flavors! It's great on its own or served over fragrant Basmati rice for a quick and healthy mid-week meal!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
Servings 4 people
- 2 tablespoons coconut or olive oil
- 1 large onion diced finely
- 1 thai chili diced finely
- 4 garlic cloves minced on a microplane
- 2 tablespoons ginger grated on a microplane
- 1.5 cups yellow lentils
- 1 tbsp ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 3-4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- juice of half a lime
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- cilantro to garnish
- lime wedges to garnish
- cooked basmati rice
Add olive oil to a large pan over medium heat.
Add onions, garlic, ginger and chilies and allow to sweat over medium heat. Do not allow any color to be achieved.
Add lentils, spices, tomatoes, 2 cups of broth and season with salt and pepper.
Bring to a simmer and reduce to low. Cook with a lid slightly open for 20 minutes. Stir frequently to avoid burning the bottom and to check for liquid. If the lentils have absorbed the liquid add in more broth. You want this thick but still have plenty of liquid.
Once the lentils have reached the desired doneness and texture add lime juice and adjust for seasoning and heat and serve over rice.
Garnish with cilantro
- The potency of your curry powder of turmeric can effect the flavor of this recipe. My turmeric tends to be pretty mellow BUT if you are using an extremely fresh turmeric it may be quite potent. Always start with a smaller amount and increase as you go.
- The nutritional information are just to be used as a guideline.
Calories: 354kcal | Carbohydrates: 51g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 713mg | Potassium: 812mg | Fiber: 23g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 8.1% | Vitamin C: 10.2% | Calcium: 6% | Iron: 36.3%