An Oldie Redone… Crispy Potato Pancakes
A classic potato pancake that has been healthified and simplified! Crispy potato pancakes, from the oven with less grease and a ton more flavor!
- 2 pounds russet potatoes peeled and grated
- 3 shallots I find the shallots give a milder flavor than onions, grated
- 3 garlic cloves or grated on a microplaner, minced
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan you can use any other cheese you please as well...it's quite versatile, plus 1 tablespoon
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped rosemary
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped dill
- 2 eggs lightly beaten 2 teaspoons kosher salt 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 3 tablespoons olive oil
- **the magic ingredient: a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese on the top**
- Herbed Greek Yogurt Dip
- 1/2 cup Non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
Preheat oven to 450-degrees
Place mixture into a cheese cloth and ring out all the moisture. Make sure every last bit gets out. Dry potatoes = crispy pancakes.
Place the mixture in a bowl, add in 2 eggs slightly beaten, herbs, salt, pepper, Parmesan and sprinkle in enough bread crumbs to soak up the remaining moisture.
Preheat a large pan (12 inches) with the olive oil in it at medium high. Place the potato mixture into the pan. Make sure you pat it down firmly and sqwish it down so that all the potato's surface area is covered. After about 5-10 minutes the edges started getting beautiful and brown.
Turn off the heat and sprinkle some Parmesan cheese right on top before putting it in the oven. The cheese gives it an even more beautiful crust and adds a little bit of saltiness. Again use what you like, cheddar and Swiss make a great pairing too, but they create a gooier pancake.
Place the pan the oven for 20 minutes. Once the top is golden and crispy remove from the oven.
Carefully move the pancake onto a cooling rack for 5 minutes to let it cool before cutting. If you cut it now it may not be as easy to cut.
Move to a cutting board and cut into squares with serrated knife. You can also cut it like a pizza and present it in slices.
Herbed Greek Yogurt Dip
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and enjoy. If you want to get all fancy, place a dollop on each pancake piece and garnish with herbs.