These plump and delicious “syrniki” are Russian cheese and apple fritters that are filling, healthy and creamy. Perfect for any breakfast, brunch or snack!
- 1 apple of choice (I like a slightly tart apple like a Honeycrisp or a Pink Lady, even a Granny Smith will work)
- 1 cup of ricotta (about 8 oz)
- 2 whole eggs
- 3/4 cup flour plus 1/2 a cup more for dredging
- 1/2 a tsp of baking powder
- 2 tbsp sugar
- zest of an orange
- 1/2 tsp of freshly ground cinnamon
- powdered sugar to garnish
- 4 tbsp of butter for frying
- First I peeled some apples. Then I sliced them and diced them. Just nice and small because they are also going into your batter.
- Place a tablespoon of butter into a medium sized pan and allow it to melt over medium heat. Place HALF of the diced apples into the pan, along with 1/2 a tsp of FRESH cinnamon. I prefer to just grate a bit from a fresh cinnamon stick. It is actually much milder that way. Let them sautee slowly until they are nice and soft. Set aside.
- Because I like everything fast, I mix my batter in a mixing bowl.
- Add in your ricotta, HALF of the diced apple, 2 eggs. zest of an orange, 2 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp baking powder and 3/4 cup flour into a mixing bowl fitted with the paddle attachment. I really love the orange zest in here. It just totally brightens up the flavor.
- Mix until JUST combined.
- Here is where things get a little tricky… The batter SHOULD be sticky. In the next step you will be ensuring that that stickiness doesn’t get out of hand 🙂
- Place about 1/2 a cup of flour into a plate and get out your ice cream scoop. I learned this neat little scooper trick from Natasha’s Kitchen Syrniki recipe. Scoop a nice ball of batter into the flour, cover it all with the flour.
- Now that the flour will no longer stick to your hands go ahead and shape it into a patty.
- Warm up about 2 tbsp of butter in a pan and fry each syrnik until golden brown over medium heat, about 4 minutes per side.
- Remove from pan and drain on a few paper towels to remove any access fat. Serve with the sauteed apples and a few more sprinkles of cinnamon and orange zest. Plus some powdered sugar for good measure 🙂
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Russian