Traditional Russian pancakes Oladushki, that come together in minutes and are made with only 6 ingredients!
- 2 cups Kefir (Plain)
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ lemon (zested)
- 2¼ cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup raisens, dried tart cherries or dried cranberries
- powedered sugar for garnish
- mixed berries for garnishing
- butter (for frying)
- neutral oil (for frying)
- In a large bowl mix kefir, an egg, lemon zest, sugar and salt with a whisk.
- In a separate bowl mix flour, cinnamon and baking soda. Add the dry ingredients to the wet. Whisk carefully until just combined. Add in the dried fruit. The batter will be thick.
- Allow the mixture to stand for 15 minutes until it rises.
- Heat a non-stick pan with enough oil and butter to cover the bottom of the pan. Drop batter with a large spoon or a small ice-cream scoop into hot oil and fry on medium heat on one side until golden and the batter is cooked halfway through, then flip carefully. This is when the fish spatula comes in handy. The pancakes will puff up as soon as you flip them over. Maintain medium heat to ensure each pancake is cooked all the way through as they are going to be tall. (Add oil throughout the frying process as needed.)
- Serve with powdered sugar, sour cream, whipped cream, berries or all of the above!!
- If you want to make these ahead of time, just fry them until golden brown on one side then flip and fry for just one minute. Place into an oven proof dish and heat up at 375 degrees for 15 minutes until warmed through.
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Russian