A super simple chicken thigh recipe bursting with flavor. The perfect dinner for a busy weeknight!
Chicken is a staple in our household. In fact, I have come to realize, it’s a staple in most households. That being said, it has the unfortunate tendency to get boring. But not this recipe…This recipe is a hit every time.This recipe never gets boring. And it’s because of its marinade.
I have found that using different marinades prior to roasting or grilling my chicken gives it an undeniable burst of oh so very necessary flavor.
There are a few secrets to a good marinade, (post on that in more detail soon to come 🙂 ) But generally speaking, you need a fat, a flavoring, salt and an acid. Chicken only needs about 6-8 hours to marinade, but I like to do it over night since that’s the easiest for me.
In addition to adding a lot of flavor to marinades I like to ensure that my chicken is super flavorful by roasting it with the bone in and skin on.
For this recipe, I used bone in, skin on, cute little chicken thighs. They are my favorite part of the chicken 🙂 Roasting chicken with the skin on ensures the outcome of a moist and more flavorful chicken. While the chicken roasts, the skin allows for a self basting effect and as the fat drips out, it leaves the skin crispy and delicious. And fat free 🙂 Which of course means guilt free.
These chicken thighs roast up so golden and delicious that it’s a fantastic quick go to weekday meal for the family. It is also a great main entree to whip up when guests decide to come over last minute on a Saturday night, when you have nothing else in the fridge but garlic, lemon and some herbs. Which is pretty much the norm in our house every Saturday night. Hence, I always have some chicken marinading in the fridge on a Saturday just in case..
But please do give this chicken a try…the picture practically begs for you to bite into it.
Happy Monday all… speaking of which…wouldn’t this awesome make for a great last minute Monday dinner? I bet you can whip it up by dinner time and just serve it over some brown rice with a nice crisp salad. In fact…that’s what I am about to do.
- 1.5 pounds chicken thighs, rinsed
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- ¼ cup of water
- the zest and juice of one lemon
- 5 garlic cloves, minced on microplaner
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme, remove from stems
- coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Add all the ingredients except the chicken to a bowl and mix to combine.
- Taste the marinade. It should be very flavorful and almost too salty.
- Add the chicken and the marinade to a ziplock bag making sure to get all the air out of it. Swish it around until everything looks nicely covered.
- Place into the refrigerator for at least 8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 450-degrees.
- Place chicken on a lightly oil sheet pan and roast until juices run clear or until internal thermometer reaches 160-degrees F.